1/26/2007

A meditation on hate

Jer 12:8
8 "My inheritance has become to Me
Like a lion in the forest;
She has roared against Me;
Therefore I have come to hate her.
NASU



Dear God how do you come to oppose your people? Why do you use the word hate here? Surely Lord this is too strong of a term! In Philippians 4:8 hate is not among the list of things we should dwell on. So why is it in the Bible? Lord you know how much hate is in the world. You have watched us humans butcher one another beginning with Cain. You have long strived with us concerning our hatred. So don't you think its a little careless to directly use it yourself?

Thank you Lord that I am not the center of all wisdom. I can't wrap my mind around the fact that You have no beginning and no end. Sometimes I just don't understand how you're trying to speak to me through Your Word. But this I do understand: Even in your forceful opposition here, in turning your back on Your people, Your hatred, somehow Your intention was always reconciliation. I believe that in Jesus Christ the Word, somehow you turn the strength of hate, of forceful opposition, into the strength of Embrace, of forceful searching and finding--Love.

How do you not hide your eyes God? How do you not get jaded, write us off, abandon forever? I get exhausted just reading the stories of our human unfaithfulness in Your Word. I get exhausted by my own sins. How is your patience so strong? How can you endure us for millenia? Some figure that you're just not paying attention. Obviously they're not reading the Bible. Sometimes I fear that you pay too much attention! But then I'm glad you do.

God, for today, give me enough willingness just to agree with your Intentions.

No comments: