1/05/2007

home

I meditated this morning on John chapter 14. I was sitting at home thinking about how good it is to be back in familiar old surroundings. The old sights and sounds of Uptown Chicago. Our couch, our rocking chair, our window overlooking the Lake. Even our little house rabbit is happy to be home. Then I thought of Jesus' words "I go to prepare a place for you." That word place is pregnant with meaning. The original greek word here is topos and Vine's calls it, among other things "a place which a person or thing occupies." I'm thinking of that “sense of place” that is geographical and yet very human and spiritual. I hope I’m not too far out on a limb here for you, but I can’t help but think that home is something longed for in every person. In John 14 Jesus not only promises his disciples a home but a trip there too. He says he’ll come back and get us and take us there. And then he promises the Holy Spirit, the Comforter, who will teach (didasko) and remind (hupomimnesko) of everything he has said.

I see the Triune God throughout this chapter working this sense of Place into his Church and into me. I’m so glad to be back home here at JPUSA in Chicago, but I know that this life is so short. Things change. My wife and I get older each year. My children grow up. My neighbors grow older and some folks leave and others arrive. Someday we will all enjoy a fulfilled “sense of Place” with God. Thank you Jesus.

No comments: