1/15/2007

I can't remember the rules

I sit here alone in the office this morning. I'm proofing a manuscript for publication. I'm ashamed to say its been over a year now that I've had to seriously remember the rules of commas in a sentence. So I'm copying and printing out all the rules again. I can think of better things to do than to correct comma splices for cosmetic effect. As an editor I know the importance of the rules. Its my job to make it all look good and on the up and up. But as a writer I also know the frustration of those rules. I become the egghead with a pocket protector every time I bring up the rules. Such is life lived with words. So with my Chicago Manual of Style, my Strunk and White, my Dictionary, and my Firefox web browser in virtual hand, I will descend again into proofing purgatory. As soon as the other proofers arrive I will be thoroughly whined out and they will esteem me for my lack of complaint. Or not.

(BTW: If you've been secretly detesting my use of its and it's and lack of comma etiquette for years now: darn you! Darn you to heck! To h-e-double-hocky-sticks no less! There, I'm all better now!)

No comments: