12/30/2006

new acquisitions

Two of my favorite hobbies are reading and music. Here is list of new acquisitions in the last few weeks.

Books:
Billy Joe Shaver: Honky Tonk Hero, University of Texas Press, 2005. (Devoured in one day.)
Waiting for the Word: Dietrich Bonhoeffer on Speaking About God by Fritz Delange, Eerdmans, 2000. (Nibbling my way through. Found for $5 on Abebooks! Bought because of Richard Gillingham's review.)
Karl Barth Letters 1961-1968, translated by G. Bromily (Found at a local used bookstore for $5.50. A delight!)

On the music side:
Rosanne Cash "Black Cadillac"
Johnny Cash At San Quentin (The Legacy Edition) This box set has the complete uncut concert on two CDs and a BBC documentary (51 minutes) on another DVD. This DVD is well worth it all. I've watched it twice now and will have to watch it many more with other friends. Saw it with my parents and grandparents the other night and we were all amazed that it took so long for it to be released. If you have the album but haven't seen the documentary, crucial audio parts come alive. So cool.
Drive-By Truckers "Decoration Day" and "A Blessing and A Curse" (Last two albums.)

It generally takes me much more time to devour music than books. Often I'm listening and reading at the same time. But good music has to slip into my subconscious and then my blood stream before I make a judgment on it.

No comments: