12/04/2006

"Daddy You're such a Nerd!"

While working on my Bethge blog chapter nine, my daughter Gabrielle interrupted me to help her with her homeschool studies. She asked what a pledge was. The sentence in her book said, "We pledge allegiance to this ____." and then showed a cartoon of a Christian flag, you know, the white one with the blue box in the corner and the red cross on it. So I started describing what a pledge was--- in that sense. I went on and on for maybe five minutes. She got that glazed look in her eye, saw what I was pointing to, wrote in the word "flag" and then smiled and said, "Daddy you're such a nerd! You talk soooo much." To which I replied, "Well, I'll just take my nerdy self and slink back to my room." BTW, in her school she doesn't pledge allegiance to the American flag or the Christian flag. That's why she didn't know what a pledge was.

No comments: