10/16/2006

church and the social setting

I'm having fun over at Dr. Jim West's discussion "Is the Social Gospel A Distraction?"
Sub Ratione Dei clued me in to this. Some great comments. Richard is right though, its quite parochial, though this is a very practical and pastoral issue. I say the Gospel involves the mandate to care for all people. Dr. John Stott is trying to broaden the concept of Evangelism, pointing out in an interview with Tim Stafford that we may understand it far too narrowly.
My hope is that in the future, evangelical leaders will ensure that their social agenda includes such vital but controversial topics as halting climate change, eradicating poverty, abolishing armories of mass destruction, responding adequately to the AIDS pandemic, and asserting the human rights of women and children in all cultures. I hope our agenda does not remain too narrow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's funny, exactly the same thought cam to mind when I first read this interview. I do wonder though if there is an element of "devil's advocate" in Jim's post.