2/09/2006

thanks. . .

Thanks for the last few comments guys. I'm glad you found your way here to my blog somehow. Tell me more about yourselves and such. No I'm not "the" Chris Rice who wrote "Deep Enough to Dream." Doing Google searches will reveal a number of more well-known Chris Rices. (Not that I'm bitter or anything.) Maybe I should feel guilty that I got to this web domain before they did. I better not bad mouth them or anything---wouldn't want them suing google over it like Jews for Jesus did. (I like Jews for Jesus.)

This morning I'm trying to pick up where I left off writing my memoir. Its rough going as I'm dealing with my relationship with my dad at a time in our lives when we were both trying to find our way. He was learning to father a son and I was learning, well, how to face life! We've come a long way since then but I hate focusing on this period. Dad had a big anger/rage issue that continued on into my adulthood. Years later everything has changed---he's now a very good friend.

Anyway, I wrote a few songs about it years back and I came over fully expecting to rerecord them from memory. I started out by listening to what I recorded a couple weeks ago. Those cuts were so bad I don't feel like recording anything now! I'm trying to encourage myself that it is hard work and that self-recording is never perfectly done especially by erstwhile dilettante musicians who rarely record and are very unsure of themselves.

But I trudge along. . . .

This morning I heard on the radio that every fifteen seconds a child dies from water born disease. So as part of our morning reading prayer time before school I very gingerly broke the news to my kids about it. I didn't give them that statistic right out (they're 3, 6, and 9 nears old) but we prayed in general for kids who get sick and even die from not having good water. Then I read from Isaiah 58:6-7 and educated them on the terms "injustice" and "oppression."
If there's anything I'm proud of its that I knew about poverty, oppression and injustice since I can remember! Thanks dad.

No comments: