9/09/2005

weekend with family

From last Wednesday until Monday, Martha and I took the kids and an
Amtrak train down to the Jeff City MO area for my parent's wedding vow
renewal. It was such a beautiful time. I'll have to post pics soon. But
the story I want to tell is on a little misunderstanding I perpetuated.
My sister found this little beautiful bed and breakfast for my folks as
a little second honeymoon retreat. The next day we all planned to meet
somewhere and have a picnic. Well Steph wasn't quite sure how the picnic
would all work out. We're all kind of on the poor side with not so much
cash flow. Anyway, we decide on this little winery nestled away
somewhere near Hermann. We all pull into this little place in a valley
and pile out. Four cars of us. Dad and my three kids situate themselves
under a tree and the rest of us go inside to watch people taste wine.
What else do you do at a winery? There was an all you can eat labor day
picnic going on there but we didn't know what it would cost and then
decided we couldn't afford it. The kids are filing in every few minutes
to use the bathroom. So after a few of us tasted the wine (not me) we
all filed out under the tree. I have my Martin out and I'm trying to
remember songs for us to sing. We chatted and munched on food dad saved
from the night before. Steak and cake and a bake potato wrapped in
aluminum foil. There were water bottles and Cokes. The owner came out
and saw us there and smiled. Somewhere in that time I started singing
"Whiskey River" by Willie Nelson. The owner must have heard me when
heading back in and saw us drinking from the water bottles. On my next
kid bathroom break he cornered me with "I don't know what you all are
drinking out there but we're not into that here. This is a family place.
We don't allow alcohol other than the wine we provide. What's in those
water bottles?" Boy was I embarassed. I forgot I'd been singing that
song until I got back to Chicago. I assured him we weren't drinking and
didn't drink. But shortly thereafter we all lit out of there feeling
like the freeloaders we undoubtedly were. It was a great hour and a
half. I'm blessed with a great family. Blessings on Jen and Nate as they
ready to wed. And on my folks on their new life together again.

1 comment:

Kevin Surbaugh said...

Hey Chris -

Tried to call today, but I understand you are on the burn at the press...wanted to say hope your your parents anniversery went well. Keep going with the Lord's work, it is very much needed. I see that everywhere I go, so many hurting people. JPUSA is and always has done a great job. God bless.
- DeWayne Kevin Surbaugh
KevinsView.com
P. S. it looks like I am going to start rviewing CD's, DVD's, books, etc....(thanks to me teaming up with blogcritics.org) which really scares me, as I don't know how to put into word's why I like or dislike my music, movies and books.

Anyway hope to catch up with you soon