9/30/2005

Financial freedom

I confess I am one of those tragically uninsured you read about all the time in the magazines and in newspapers. I'm a financial bottom feeder. I buy clothes from the thrift store. When I have money I buy guitar strings, books, CDs, shoes, underwear, socks, and lots of cheap food. I ride the el train. I've never financed a car. Never financed a house. I had a personal bank account once. I deposited my paychecks and I payed rent. Other then that there wasn't much activity.  I've held my personal medical records from childhood and you know what? They're all of immunizations from a homeless free clinic. Don't pity me. I'm proud in a way that I've never been part of the rat race. Its damn UNAmerican not to be in debt. Think about that. When the Census rolled around back in 1990 I realized that my family were UNpeople. And when the 2000 census rolled around my whole intentional community was probably registered as a homeless shelter in Chicago. But then think of all the thousands who've recieved food, shelter, medical aid and ministry because of my heritage.
    I define myself financially free. [I love that song "Country Boy" by Johnny Cash] Many folks would call me creditless, uninteresting, unhelpful, not a team player, maybe even hurtful and rebellious. And I say that's just plain sick. Why should my credit information or lack of it make me a nonperson? How many billions are in the world? How many of those are Americans? A handful. How many world citizens have credit? Only a portion. Call me a rebel but I'm a Christian first, a human on the planet second, and an American by circumstance. I didn't ask to win a genetic lottery by being male, white, and American. And the responsibility I have because of these I'll spend for Jesus not for America (and not for America's version of Jesus). I see America at odds with the world's financial freedom. Humans are entitled to the subsistent life I maintain (food, clothes, shelter, debt freedom) and they don't have it. Instead of cherishing some part of the credit system and indulging in it I'd rather ask how my time and resources can be spent in community with anyone that needs it. That's an insecure and messy way to live for a lot of folks. They look at you like you're crazy or a patron saint. They throw money at you or just pity you. Oh well.

No comments: