8/17/2006

This little youtube video brought tears to my eyes today. I laughed so hard I was exhausted.
For the two of you who know me from the days I worked for a UHF TV station in central Missouri. . . .I'll tell you a little inside story of a serious mistake I made one morning.

Nancy Larson used to have a Christian exercise show on TV 38 titled "Shape Up." We ran it down on Ch. 24 and 25 in Missouri. One morning around 6:30am I was running "the board" (master control board, the switches that put shows over the air) while Nancy was doing her thing. She was encouraging her audience not to quit because they can "do all things through Christ who gives them strength." She reminded them that she'd been doing the show for years and that they should take it slow if they were new. If they had heart troubles or were pregnant they should consult a doctor before joining in. The music began and she started into jumping jacks. At just that moment an ink pen rolled off of the top cabinet and landed perfectly on the fast forward button of the board. I can still imagine the people at home trying to follow along at three times the speed!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great and professional show. Do you know if they've released a CD?

chris said...

I don't think they have but there are more vids on youtube. David Hart does these public access shows that air in LA. A couple guys caught it on cable here in Chicago. They saw Chip the Black Boy and a dog singing a Mary Baker Eddy hymn.
Searching around I just read a link to the effect that David Hart is actually quite mentally disturbed. He paints Santas on windows for a living. The studio is literally hidden behind a Carpet store.
Christian Science recently forced him to drop the name Science out of the show name.
David is famous for being in the movie "Public Access Hollywood" and he has an email address via that website.