4/05/2006

On Play

I love country gospel music. But I also love good satire. In the early 1990's a band called the Sanctified Glory Mountain Revival Festival played Cornerstone Festival. Their ep was a hit in my circle of friends in Bible college. (That tells you something about my circle of friends. I dug up the old cassettes this morning and played them. Terrible music. (But that's the point.) But delightful lyrics.

Here are my favorites:

I'm So Glad For The Preacher

When I was just a little child, I was very young.
I used to do some awful things just in the name of fun.
I'd break up all my crayons, I'd write upon the wall.
What was the reason for such wickedness. I was the product of Adam's fall.
Then one day I went to church out on the edge of town.
The preach in' heard, the singin' loud,
when they shouted their hair down.
My eyes were big as saucers as I did hear and see,
it was in that country church where the preacher scared he--
­out of me.
(Chorus)
He spoke of fire and brimstone,
I felt the flames so hot,
it's a place of awful torment, where the worm dieth not.
He said to miss this awful place from sin you'll have to flee.
I'm so glad for the preacher, who scared
he- - out of me.
iI you go your way, and do your own thing, you make your boastful claims.
You wear your shorts, smoke cigarettes, and you go to them old ballgames.
You watch that one-eyed devil that we call the old boob tube.
I hope you find a preacher, who'll scare he- - out of you.
(Chorus)



If Your Hair's Too Long

A rich young ruler came one day
To ask about the narrow way
But his hair was long and he couldn't be saved
The preacher looked at him through tears
And said the problem's on your ears

If your hair's too long there's sin in your heart
If your hair's on your ears, there's sin in your heart
Get it cut today and make a new start
You'll live a life of fear and dread
With that tangled mess upon your head
If your hairs too long there's sin in your heart

My friend if you will enter there
You'll not go there with your long hair
If your hair's too long, there's sin in your heart
They'll be hell behind with those I fear
Who wear their hair upon their ears
If your hair's too long there's sin in your heart

From the album Polly Ester Heaven, Mootown Records.

If anybody knows what ever happened to these folks, I'm interested.

5 comments:

Kevin Surbaugh said...

ok I did some digging on ask.com and came up with this link: http://ilx.wh3rd.net/thread.php?msgid=6697502

sorry it is the closest answer I could get and it was from earlier this year.

DeWayne Kevin Surbaugh
(former memer of JPUSA)
http://www.kevinsview.com
News, Opinion, Reviews (Books, Movies, Music).
http://www.cafepress.com/kevinsview
Our Store
http://debtfree4ever.blogspot.com (become and stay debt free)

chris said...

Thanks Kevin that was helpful. Had no idea they were still into music.
Hope all is well with you.

Kevin Surbaugh said...

doing good...since March 22, I have been working nights...I was promoted to night manager and so I get off around 7 or 8 in the morning. Hoping to get back into Chicago sometime this year, haven't done much traveling since 2001 and am eager to get back onto a plane and go somewhere. I am almost debt free and can once again afford it.

Anonymous said...

This is originally from an album from 1983, "Bless This House...Please" by Ariel.

You can find a copy of this LP on GEMM.com.

Anonymous said...

Oh, and it's copyright by Al Jolson Black.