12/12/2005

On Friday morning I was talking on the phone watching the street out in front of our office building when I noticed a Canada goose land in traffic in front of a parked car. I finished my conversation and it still hadn't moved from where it landed. I went to my desk and looked out again and saw that traffic (including a snow plow) were all passing around it. Its a two lane street that is often blocked in one lane so I knew this would be quite dangerous for the goose. I called a friend and we went out to see if we couldn't herd it out of traffic. When we got down there we blocked traffic and then my friend Hugo quickly doffed his sweater wrapped it around the goose and brought it back up to 2nd floor where we worked. When he picked it up we noticed that it's right leg was almost cleanly severed off. We called about ten different numbers until we finally found a Rehab that would take it. Three or four hours later they arrived from the suburbs, left a brochure and told us the likelihood was good it could be rereleased into the wild with a prosthetic leg. In all the time Cornerstone mag has been in these offices no one can remember ever seeing this kind of thing happen. Though Hugo did save a guy's life once. But that's another story.

Saving this goose was a wonderful experience and will long be a reminder to me of hope and sometimes a simple eagerness to save something wild from becoming roadkill. Apply that as you like.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I live in an apartment in Oklahoma City that sits on a lake that is not owned by the apartments but is protected by wildlife regulations. My patio is about 20 feet from the lake. Please check my website for details. One of my many goose friends has a severe injury to his left leg. He will not let me touch him, but he hangs out on his belly at my patio. While trying to find a place to contact for care for him, I ran across your blog about the injured goose. Since moving in here, I have buried myself in all things goose. I'm worried about this guy because geese are definitely not warm and fuzzy toward the weak. Thanks for the warm story. If you have any suggestions, I'm all e-mail.
mary gawlas
rangermare@care2.com