7/28/2005

cracklin moth at the hideout

Last night I pretended to be a much younger adult and snuck out to see Cracklin Moth at the Hideout. The Hideout is a notorious bastion of alt.country in Chicago. My friend and I walked west on Armitage and crossed the river bridge by that old steel factory and then walked south on elston to wabansia. What a cool neighborhood! Walking it really adds to the vibe. Toward wabansia all along this old warehouse someone screwed nsync photo frames up with black and white xeroxes of their face. How odd. Anyway once we got to the Hideout I found that it really is that---a tiny hideout. There's barely room to move around in there. The concert started at 10:15 instead of 9:30 and I kept asking "Is there another room here where the show is playing?" Nope. And they have all day concert tributes in this place!
Cracklin' moth was really great. The crowd was groovin and dancing and seemed to really enjoy themselves. The band is tight and Matt's voice really works. Maybe they're the funnest little Chicago alt. country band you'll have heard in a while. Give 'em a listen. cracklinmoth.com There's free songs to download on their site.
Well we got home at midnight and I showered up and discarded my second-hand-smoke wreaked clothes. I was scared Martha would wake up and say "You smell." But she never noticed.
Michael and I would like to sneek out to the Hideout again some night. All right I'm not fooling anybody. I don't sneek anywhere anymore. Anyway, it was fun.

No comments: