5/31/2005

Memoir and Remembering

When I began my study on Memoir I found a philosophy book on
autobiography and remembrance. It raised the question of authority in
remembrance, and its my largest hurdle in writing memoir. Its a question
of personhood really. Who am I to remember aloud--to recount deeds done
to me that shaped me? The question becomes particularly hurtful when it
involves parents, spouse, siblings. . . . or my own hurtful dealings
with others. Perhaps this is why so many personal experiences must be
fictionalized. True remembrance is always only through the lens of
perception. Perception is open to doubt. Doubt brings fear and pushes
the attempt at memory to arms length. Not that doubt and fear can't
dissipate. But anything written becomes posterity---when read.

No comments: