4/08/2003

I grew up in a Christian community. I guess that makes me interesting. I've known others that grew up like I did. Most got out as soon as they could. Probably, in their case, with good reason. I married, moved out of one, and moved into another and my wife and I now have three small kids. I think its worth it living this way. Prospects for retirement or making serious money? Nill. Prospects for becoming powerful and famous. Notta. Prospects for family, happiness, and simple living--pretty good. In some small way I believe that by living with less (though not as little as many) I'm standing for something. Maybe I'm cutting down on my share of waste. More importantly I'm raising my kids with values from another time/place. Maybe not. Maybe the world isn't as dark as all that. So why do I get the feeling that my country is currently exporting a democracy that I can't believe in? And powerful preachers who claim to believe all the right things are bellowing a "gospel" that has nothing to do with human beings?

No comments: